Saturday, January 3, 2015

Updated Reading List

I wanted to change a few things about my reading list. The books I chose for Monday and Tuesday are a bit dry, which is ok, but they are also fairly thick. I keep looking at my pile of books and thinking that I'll never get past the two big ones I chose for Monday and Tuesday, so I've put them back on the shelf until I grab them again in the future; in the meantime, I'm trying to stick with books that are fairly manageable size-wise. I've also decided to split up the weekend - originally I had one book be for the entire weekend's reading, but I want Sundays to be more God-centered. So, here's my latest grouping of books:

Sunday: United States Catholic Catechism for Adults
Monday: Abandonment to Divine Providence
Tuesday: The Catholic Perspective on Paul
Wednesday: Baptist Successionism: A Crucial Question in Baptist History
Thursday: Strangers to the City: Reflections on the Beliefs and Values of the Rule of Saint Benedict
Friday: Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
Saturday: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

My "bathroom book": Masonry Unmasked

I am REALLY enjoying this arrangement - the daily rotation of books keeps things nice and fresh and allows me to pursue several different subjects at once. I make myself read every day, even if it's only for a couple paragraphs. These days aren't written in stone or anything - the rapture book I was reading wound up being read every day instead of doing the daily rotation thing - the book was that good. What I hope to do is always have a day where I'm studying something about Catholic theology (Sundays), something written by the saints or something that helps me in spiritual formation (Mondays), something Biblical (Tuesdays), something to help me in ecumenism (Wednesdays), something (eventually, after my current book) that is historical - religious or secular - or something scientific (Thursdays), something written by my theological mentor, Benedict XVI (Fridays), and something fictional (Saturdays). Thanks to Flocknote, I'm also reading a bit of the New Testament every day.