Friday, August 28, 2015

Creamy Summer Squash Soup

2 Tbsp butter
4 leeks, sliced
2 cups sliced yellow summer squash
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk or light cream
salt and pepper

Melt butter in saucepan.
Add leeks and saute, about five minutes.
Add squash and saute, about five minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of broth.
Transfer to blender – blend until smooth.
Return to pan.
Add remaining 3 cups of broth.
Add milk (or cream), salt, and pepper.
Cook for additional five to ten minutes.

It was a welcome change to use butter instead of oil. To stay within the limits of South Beach, you'll probably want to use Smart Balance Lite or I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter Lite. When I made this recipe, I used light cream - the SB diet books would probably encourage you to use 1/2 & 1/2, though.

The recipe was a cinch to make and it smelled really good. The only problem I have with this recipe is that it does something I can't stand - it measures my vegetables in cups. That is a very subjective measurement; I can fit one squash, half a squash, or three squashes to a cup depending on how large or small I chop. So I like recipes that tell me "half a large onion" or "three yellow squash". It's just easier to make it how it's written and then I can play around later. So in this recipe, I used one medium-large and one small squash, which would have given me probably about three or four cups worth.